Senclude provides specialist support to students with a visual impairment who are in receipt of disabled student allowance (DSA) while studying higher education courses in England and Wales.

This role would suit anyone looking for flexible hours, a range of which are available but are subject to support requirements. You will be employed on a self-employed basis and assigned hours can therefore not be guaranteed. The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and the academic timetable. All Mobility Trainers are currently paid on a self-employed basis whereby they are responsible for paying their own National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax.

Main Responsibilities

  • To deliver orientation and mobility training to students with visual impairments at university.
  • To provide a professional assessment of the campus location and then carry out a time limited programme of training.
  • To create an individually developed programme based on agreed assessment of needs.
  • To assist students in learning safe routes around the campus, either making use of a long cane or with a guide dog.
  • To help students navigate around their University campus safely and confidently.

Essential Qualifications:

The successful applicant must have one or more of the following qualifications.

  • BSc / BSc (Hons) Degree in Rehabilitation Work (Visual Impairment)
  • PG Dip in Habilitation and Disabilities of Sight (Children and Young People) (Note: successful completion of the Graduate Diploma followed by a probationary year is a registration requirement of the UK Habilitation Professional Body, Habilitation VI UK).
  • Certification in Habilitation Studies.
  • Foundation Degree in Rehabilitation Work (Visual Impairment).
  • Diploma in Higher Education in Rehabilitation Studies (Visual Impairment).
  • BTEC Professional Diploma in rehabilitation studies (visual impairment).
  • Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care in Rehabilitation Studies (Visual Impairment).
  • Habilitation Work – Working with Children and Young People – Top Up.
  • Degree - BSc (Hons).
  • Habilitation and Disabilities of Sight Graduate Diploma Course at ULC.
  • Institute of Education (IOE).
  • Graduate Diploma in Low Vision Rehabilitation.
  • Combined Mobility Officer and Technical Officer Certificate.
  • Original Certificate in Rehabilitation Work (Note: proof required of relevant work undertaken that is applicable to helping HE students).
  • National Occupational Standards (sensory standards) qualifications. Note: Qualifications must be relevant to providing orienteering training to disabled students. Rehabilitation Workers are trained to broad criteria laid out within the Sensory Services National Occupational Standards (NOS). The NOS were published in 2008 by Skills for Care and are available on its website. Four of the eleven standards relate directly to rehabilitation work and working with deafblind people. Standard nine is the most relevant to defining the skillset of rehabilitation work.

Essential Membership:

The successful applicant must a current member of one of the following:

In addition, you must:

  • Provide a current basic DBS check.
  • Obtain your own PI insurance.
  • Be registered self-employed or willing to register.
  • Be eligible to work in the UK.

If you would like to apply for this role, please complete our expression of interest form at Applications.