Senclude provides specialist support to students with hearing impairments who are in receipt of disabled student allowance (DSA) and studying higher education courses in England and Wales 

  • Qualified Specialist Support Professionals are required to provide one-to-one support to students studying in higher education.

    The purpose of the role is to provide bespoke support reflecting the individual communication needs and personal learning style of students with hearing impairments in order to develop and facilitate their independent learning. This includes supporting students to:

    • Develop skills in relation to accessing, recognising and understanding course material and reinforcement of this learning.
    • Develop practical study strategies with the student including assignment planning, research, composition, modification of carrier language of assignments, presentations (structure and mode of presentation), communication skills, organisation and planning of workload and time management.
    • Explore solutions to queries and issues affecting academic learning and performance.

    Applicants must hold at least one of the following qualifications:

    A deaf-related postgraduate qualification is required. For example:
  • Qualified Teacher of the Deaf
  • PGDip/MA/MSC in BSL/English Interpreting
  • MA/PhD in a deaf-related subject.
  • MA Sign Linguistics • MA in Deaf Education with Teacher of the Deaf status.
  • PgDiploma Inclusive Education (Deaf Learners)
  • MsC inclusive education with Postgraduate Diploma (deaf learners)
  • PG Dip/MA Deaf Education Studies (Teacher of the Deaf).
  • MA in Deaf Education Studies (Teacher of the Deaf)
  • Post Graduate Diploma in Deaf Education
  • MSc Deaf Education. • Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Deaf Education
  • Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Deaf Education
  • PG Cert Ed (Sight Impairment)’
  • PG Diploma Education of the Hearing Impaired
  • PhD in a relevant deaf-related subject

OR ANY Postgraduate qualification eg.

  • AFHE
  • FHEA
  • PGDip
  • PGDE
  • PGCE
  • MA
  • MSc
  • PhD etc.

PLUS a deaf-related specialist qualification. For example –

  • Deaf Studies degree
  • CSW qualification
  • BSL Level 4 or above
  • BA (Hons) in Interpreting (British Sign Language and English)

A psychology degree is not acceptable.

The list above is not exhaustive and if in doubt please contact the DSA Team at DfE to check.

PLUS For a student whose preferred communication is BSL, the SSP must also have a

BSL qualification at Level 2/3 or higher

A range of hours are available but are subject to support requirements and assigned hours cannot be guaranteed.

Additional Information:

The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and the academic timetable. All specialist support professionals are currently paid on a self-employed basis whereby they are responsible for paying their own National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax.

What we require from you

  • Eligible to work in the UK.
  • Well organised, punctual, and reliable
  • Must have one of the above qualifications
  • Must be self-employed or willing to register