Overall purpose of role
To provide academic support to students with a visual impairment in Higher and Further Education. This will involve electronically taking notes in lectures, seminars, and tutorials. The student may also need sighted assistance and may need to access support on and around campus.
To support students who require notes to be taken on their behalf. The activity of notetaking is to produce an accurate and legible record of the content of lectures, seminars, discussions, off-campus events etc. in the student’s preferred style and format.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To directly take electronic notes on to a laptop during face to face/virtual lectures, seminars, and tutorials for students in higher and further education with visual impairments.
- To ensure notes are clear and comprehensive. This requires fast and accurate typing, accurate spelling, and the ability to extract all relevant information.
- To work in a professional, helpful, and flexible manner, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Notes should contain pertinent information from the session (and any questions and discussion if required), may include diagrams and may be referenced to any hand-outs. The notetaker must hand over notes in the agreed format within 24 hours of the lecture taking place.
- Produce notes that are clear, complete, and legibly written.
- Manage paperwork effectively, i.e. filling in timesheets accurately and promptly posting them at the end of each month.
- Attend any relevant training or meetings.
- GCSE Maths and English, Grade C and above.
- Educated or studied or studying at Degree level or equivalent.
- Mandatory qualification in Notetaking for Students with a Visual Impairment. (Senclude will provide training for this, however, you will need to discuss this with Senclude in advance of any application).
The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and the academic timetable. All Notetakers are currently paid on a self-employed basis whereby they are responsible for paying their own National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax.
What we require from you
- Eligible to work in the UK.
- Experience with note taking in a fast-paced environment in English.
- Well organised, punctual, and reliable.
- Accurate spelling and grammar skills.
- Must be self-employed or willing to register.
- Must undertake our Level 3 notetaker course.
If you would like to apply for this role, please complete our expression of interest form at Applications.