Senclude provides specialist support to students with a visual impairment who are in receipt of disabled student allowance (DSA) while studying higher education courses in England and Wales.
Overall purpose of the role:
To provide academic support to students with a visual impairment studying a degree. This will involve electronically taking notes in lectures, seminars, and tutorials. The student may also need sighted assistance and may need to access support on and around campus.
To support students who require notes to be taken on their behalf. The activity of Note Taking is to produce an accurate and legible record of the content of lectures, seminars, discussions, off-campus events etc. in the student’s preferred style and format.
- Have a device such as a laptop with WIFI connectivity.
- Have a mobile data plan to access online resources when WIFI is not available.
- Be a proficient and accurate typist.
- Hold a current DBS certificate or register for one.
- Must be registered as Self-Employed.
- You will be required to successfully complete the Senclude Note Taking course if you do not hold the equivalent qualification.
- Have excellent communication skills.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To directly take electronic notes on a laptop during face to face/virtual lectures, seminars, and tutorials for students with a visual impairment.
- To ensure notes are clear and comprehensive. This requires fast and accurate typing, accurate spelling, and the ability to extract all relevant information.
- To work in a professional, helpful, and flexible manner, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Notes should contain pertinent information from the session (and any questions and discussion if required), may include diagrams and may be referenced to any hand-outs. The notetaker must hand over notes in the agreed format within 24 hours of the lecture taking place.
- Produce notes that are clear, complete, and legibly written.
- Manage paperwork effectively, i.e. filling in timesheets accurately and promptly posting them at the end of each month.
- Attend any relevant training or meetings.
- GCSE Maths and English, Grade C and above.
- Educated or studied or studying at Degree level or equivalent.
- Mandatory qualification in Note Taking for Students with a Visual Impairment. (Senclude will provide the training for this and will be discussed if your application is successful).
Mandatory requirement: You must be available to meet the needs of the student and their time table requirements, this will require flexibility and being able to respond to timetable changes on a week to week basis.
The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and the academic timetable. All Note Takers are currently paid on a self-employed basis whereby they are responsible for paying their own National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax.
What we require from you:
- Eligible to work in the UK.
- Experience with note taking in a fast-paced environment in English.
- Well organised, punctual, and reliable.
- Accurate spelling and grammar skills.
- Must undertake our Level 3 Note Taker course.
If you would like to apply for this role, please complete our expression of interest form at Applications.